Saturday, December 13, 2008

Most important thing to learn so as to survive financial crisis

This is a continuation of the saga of the 1997 financial crisis in Hong Kong. As I have said, the difficulties in life are mental not physical. From my experience with the 1997 Hong Kong financial crisis, the most important thing or things to learn so as to survive are mainly:

  • You must develop a strong will power to survive and to overcome difficulties.
  • You must learn how to wait, how to endure and how to bear the stings and arrows of fortune. Yes, a bit like being stoical but also practical.
  • You must change your priority in life. Your sole objective must be to kick off poverty by any means and to accumulate money as fast as possible. No, I don't mean that you should sell your soul but you must forgo other things including what you enjoy most and live everyday by kicking off poverty.
  • You must learn how to forget the past so that the past could not pull you back, could not take away your strength to face the present and the future. Call this escape from reality, I don't care. As long as it can strengthen your spirit and will, do it. Throw away your brain if necessary!

I need not tell you how terrible life would be when you are on the verge of bankruptcy, through no fault of your own! Worst, I learned that none of my family members had any concern for my difficulties despite the fact that I was trapped by my guarantee for their liabilities. Human nature? They had to look after themselves and it was fortunate that I became the scapegoat for their over-speculation, over-leveraging and stupidity. The bank was just too happy to see that an innocent guarantor like me was there to help to avoid an accounting bad debt or write-off!

After I left the hospital, my first step was to "reconstruct" my soul, my will power and my inner strength. I knew without internal force, I could not continue living. Remember the scene in "Gone with the Wind"? Scarlet was back to her old home after the Civil War but she found everything was lost and in her moment of despair, she suddenly gained back her strength and spirit and made an oath that her folks and her must never be hungry again!

I did something similar and made an oath that I must kick off poverty by any and all means. Then began a series of degrading and painful experience but I am not going to tell you now. The struggle was too long!

But throughout such unfortunate episodes, I never lost faith in myself (yes, you must develop a strong ego so as to maintain a strong will power and strength to overcome difficulties). Did I lose faith in God? Yes and no, and this answer depends on how you define God or what God should mean to us.

To me, God is an external being far far away from us. He is the super being that created us, everything on earth, whether good or evil. If you realize how complicated life is, you must believe that there is a God, a super being, that created the living things on earth. Look at how complicated our human body and mechanism are and you must agree with me.

But as regards our relationship with this God, this super being, I am still searching for an answer. Well, mankind has been answering this question for centuries and we have too many, too much answers. But only one answer should be right for you and your answer may be entirely different from mine. God's relationship with each human being must be unique and so, please don't seek for a common answer or dictate a single doctrine.

No comments: